Looking To Become A Successful Real Estate Agent?

An Open Letter To Anyone Who Dreams Of Becoming A Wildly Successful Real Estate Agent, But Can't Get Started...

Thousands Of People Just Like You Are Starting A New Career In Real Estate, Making Fantastic Money, & Enjoying The Lifestyle They've Always Wanted. Now It's Your Turn...
 

Becoming a Real Estate Agent

You're About To Discover How To...

  • Break into the real estate field, and become super successful in no time at all.
     
  • Quickly attract lots of new prospects, so you can begin making money right away!
     
  • Get the highest possible commissions using clever insider's tactics.
     
  • ...and much much more!
For Further Details BE SURE TO CLICK HERE
  

Monday, December 11, 2006

Becoming a Millionaire in Real Estate Sales

.
1972: Ah yes it was long ago now but I remember those early days in Real Estate, oh so well.
#
I was so young then - just 22 years old - still wet behind the ears - and in partnership in our own recently opened real estate office. I was determined to succeed in Real Estate Sales and was as cocky as hell as most 22 year olds are. I needed a partner and the "personality plus" wife of a vendor whose house I had sold, proved, as it seemed at the time, just right.
#
Before we opened our own real estate office, I'd been in real estate sales part time for just under 3 years working for another real estate agency. I could best be described as a head strong and over confident real estate sales consultant.
#
In those days we were on commission only – of course no sales meant zero checks (I also had a young wife and a baby girl to support).
#
"I knew it all" (at least that's what I thought at the time) and could readily see that the real estate sales industry was totally inefficient. I ran a small part time retail business to keep myself solvent while I continued to "observe, observe and observe" and at the same time plan, scheme and test.

(NB: Like my long time good friend and co-retired real estate agent Charles Goodwin author of that amazing book The Secrets Of Wealth Creation Revealed said "If I ever hear that useless crass cliché 'Location - Location -Location' again I am sure I will want to vomit" - but more on that later.)
#
One couldn’t help but noticing that a day in the life of the average real estate salesperson was, to put it mildly, a total inefficient bludge which left me wondering, 'how much money could I really make if I automated real estate selling?'
.
A typical Monday morning:
.
The office would open at 9am. I observed that my colleagues began arriving from about 9.30 - 10.30. The first two hours would be an extended "smoko time" around the coffee pot discussing all the weekends sporting events, politics, weather, TV programs and dare I say it, sometimes even the many "sales that got away".
.
"Bloody buyers," a salesman would proclaim, "I showed those useless ratbags over a dozen properties. Drove them around for days. They promised me that they would buy through me. Yesterday they rang and said that they had found just the house they have been looking for. They said that they wanted to buy through me but the house was listed with another agent. Damn buyers, you simply can't trust them!"
.
"So why do you bother with buyers?" I would counter, "Why not spend all your time getting exclusive agencies on the properties and then insist that the buyers come to you?"
.
My colleagues would look at me as if I was from Mars. "Because young Alby, that is not the way it's done. Vendors list their houses with several local agents and it's always been on a first come first serve basis. The agent with the buyer wins the commission. That my friend is the way we have always played it."
.
"Well that isn't the way I'll be doing it when I start my own Real Estate office."
.
"Yes Alby," they would scoff "We all know you will be a millionaire within 5 years. You have told us that many times.
.
"The occasional phone call that came in was usually greeted with an attitude of "how dare they bother me on a Monday morning. Don't they know I am busy?"
.
Eventually someone would announce, "My God look at the time. It's almost lunchtime. Let's go down to the local and have lunch."
.
About 2.30 the cars would return and they would lumber up to the office and back to the ever-popular coffee pot.
.
At about 4 pm, someone would notice the day was slipping away and proclaim, " By Jeeves, the days nearly over - better bung an ad or two in the paper."
.
The problem was that Tuesday through to Friday was not much better. The office was nothing more than a social club. The few hours a week of real work generally happened after hours.
.
But as I said, although I sold the occasional house, I mainly observed and planned for the future. In our office the average sales was about 2 sales per month per salesman so I made sure I averaged at least 5 sales in each two month period. The average salesperson made an average wage.
.
Later my record with my partner was 27 sales in a weekend from Friday evening through to late Sunday evening! And not once in my whole real estate career did I ever door knock or take a buyer out in my car.
.
Alby Adage Number 1: The Real Estate sales market can be likened to one very large Cherry cake. To automate real estate sales one needs to only pick out or deal with the cherries and leave all the crumbs to the opposition.
.
I also continually observed that "purchasers buy houses in spite of agents, not because of them!" That is, if it's the house they desperately want, most buyers would deal with the devil rather than miss out.
.
This was illustrated to me clearly on one highly embarrassing Sunday afternoon open inspection.The owners had left for the allotted three hours and I settled into the comfy lounge chair. I had a late night the evening previous and coupled with some new hay-fever tablets, soon drifted off into a deep and wonderful sleep.
.
I woke up startled, just in time to hurriedly exit the house before the owners returned.
That evening I had a phone call.
.
"Mr Goldman?""Yes." I answered.
.
"We inspected the house this afternoon and fell in love with it and have now decided we would dearly like to buy it."
.
Ah such music to my ears. "I see - what time did you see it?" I stuttered in sheer wonderment.
.
"We were there for about an hour inspecting the home. You were snoring your head off in the chair. We didn't want to disturb you - so we stayed very quiet.
.
"Gulp! I cleared my throat. "I am so sorry - you see I took these new hay-fever tablets and...."
.
"No, not at all, it was refreshing to be able to inspect the house without an agent badgering us. Mind you there were others who came to inspect, who were obviously not quite as impressed."
"How many others?" I asked in stark embarrassment.
.
"We didn't count … but I'd say about five or six couples."
.
I jumped into damage control. I took the buyers full details over the phone - filled out the contract and the required forms - rushed to their house and signed up their full price offer then drove immediately across town to the vendor. Needless to say they were delighted at their efficient real estate salesperson.

Phew I was off the hook!

Alby Adage Number 2: Buyers buy a house in spite of the agent – not because of them.
.
Incidentally, later on this blog, I will share with you many embarrassing and/or hilarious moments (easily enough to fill a book) in the life of a real estate consultant. For example, like the time I gently began discussing a prospective offer with an elderly owner lying in her bed quite dead. (The buyers were right behind me as I spoke).
.
Also in a similar vein, the ten minutes or so I spent explaining the details of an offer through a screen door to a parrot. "Hello is anybody there?" and the answer was melodic but quite clear. "Hello - what do you want etc?" Damn parrots with large vocabularies! What ever happened to "Polly wants a cracker"? Although, I did wake up to the fact it was a parrot only when it began telling me repeatedly to F.... off!
.
Anyway back to our recently opened new real estate office.
.
I was interviewing a young English, pipe smoking, prospective new salesman straight from the assembly line at GMH. He mentioned in the interview that his father and mother had just arrived from the UK that week.
.
"They plan to retire here and buy four or five houses as an investment," explained my first new recruit.Then right then and there, I removed my *fountain pen* (please - never use a cheap ballpoint) out of my jacket pocket and in less than five minutes wrote a small classified advert that would soon rocket me, my partner and my new recruit to millionaire status.
To this day I can read this wonderful ad out loud verbatim.
.

Want a Quick Cash Sale?
Recently retired English investor
(just arrived) who is putting his
money into Real Estate anxious to
buy houses (all areas) in or out of
repair. He'll pay you cash and you
can name the settlement time.
If You want a Quick Cash no fuss sale
Ring without delay as this is urgent!
---o0o---
*
*
And boy oh boy did that ad work!
.
To be continued.........
.*
Success in Real Estate Sales
*
Copyright 2006 © Alby Goldman. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, copied or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, storage in a retrieval system or otherwise, without the prior express written permission of Alby Goldman.
Prospective publishers with expressions of interest are invited to contact Charles Goodwin at wealth@wealth-creators-club.com

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sir,I enjoyed your blog.I am just 19 and i have entered into the real estate field.How much effort should i put to improve my business?.Also,i want to know how should we attract the buyers and slellers?Its my previlage to get some tips from such an experienced person in the real estate field.

Unknown said...

Nice topics & article posted on blog. I like these tips. real estate is a great buisness .I have always wanted to know where all the yummy Vegan places were and now i can easily eat out at these place or order in! thanks so much!

Unknown said...

I even have been getting a lot of helpful and informative material in your web site.remax of hanover

Unknown said...

I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work.chantilly va houses for sale